The houses we were staying in were so unbelievably nice, and more importantly, stocked with cookware and basically every kitchen essential. So, rather than spending money going out several nights in a row, my friends and I had all agreed to pack things to eat and cook at the house. While the daiquiris and Parmesan garlic oysters I ate meant that I was hardly "good" all weekend, I did take the opportunity to bring a few healthy items to eat like those chicken Caesar wraps, my favorite "No Pudge" Fudge Brownies, fresh fruit, veggies and dip, and some granola bars.
The most satisfying snack while on the beach though, was the black bean and corn salsa that my roommate Caroline had made for all of us. It was SO delicious with Baked Tostitos (and a beer or two, I'll admit...). A few of us could barely stop ourselves from eating the whole bowl before the rest of the group got to have some. Here is a recipe based on what I think was probably in Caroline's, and based on some of the other recipe's I've seen around online.
Black Bean Salsa:
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained.
- 1 17 ounce can of whole kernel corn, drained.
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped.
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large avocado, chopped.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- cilantro (optional - personally I'm not a big fan and would prefer it without!)
- Salt, pepper, and juice of one lime.