May 10, 2010

Honey mustard brussel sprouts with bacon

This recipe for brussel sprouts would probably count as an unhealthy dish, but since the brussels are leafy green healthful veggies, I still pretend the recipe is a healthy choice.



And while the recipe is tremendous, I'm sorry to say that I don't actually have a recipe for these. But, I think there's a Southern Living recipe out there somewhere for honey mustard brussel sprouts, because I believe that's where my mom got the recipe. So, ya know, let me know if you find it. It wouldn't hurt for me to start following a recipe too since I also think my mom mentioned her version called for a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce.

So here's how you make the ones I experimented wih one day:

Start with bacon...

(yes, I know I told you it wasn't that healthy of a recipe. Go with it).
  1. Cook the bacon in a pan (around 2-3 strips). Remove the bacon, and drain any excessive grease from the bottom of the pan, leaving just a little for cooking.
  2. Add fresh, trimmed brussel sprouts cut in halves to the pan to saute until they start getting tender, and to where they have been moderately roasted. Add a bit of kosher salt or pepper to the pan.
  3. In a side bowl, melt half a stick of butter. (Yes, I know... the real healthie foodie would be disgusted by this amount of butter. In the meantime, I've taken over and think butter on brussel sprouts is absolutely delicious and necessary.)
  4. Add about 2 Tbsp of Dijon mustard. Add sugar or honey to taste. Some might say you could also use honey mustard. That might be easiest.
  5. Coat the brussels in the honey mustard sauce and crumble bacon on top.
And there you are! And PS, the butter is truly necessary in the sauce in order to cut the overwhelming taste of the mustard.

It is important to note that Ben loves these so much, he eats them like candy. He has been known to make them just for himself on a Tuesday night...

We made these with salmon and it was delicious!

4 comments:

  1. Um, these sound amazing. And I LOVE brussel sprouts! Can't wait to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent recipe. Try leaving more bacon fat and using less butter for more bacony goodness (from a health angle bacon fat has less sat fat that butter.) Needs more mustard for my taste but YMMV. I made it with maple syrup instead of honey. IMO it goes even better with the bacon than does honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make something similar to this, but with the microwave. (have a friend who will not TOUCH a brussel sprout prepared any other way)

    1 box frozen brussel sprouts
    1 whole stick of butter
    6 slices of bacon cooked well and crumbled
    mustard to taste

    Cook brussel sprouts till almost done in microwave. (I use a glass bread pan)
    Top with butter stick,and squirts of mustard.
    Continue to cook until sprouts are done.
    Stir in crumbed bacon bits making sure all sprouts are coated with butter/mustard.
    Serve
    (Nothing overly healthy but really good.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. YUM. Just made this tonight along with grilled lemon pepper tilapia. Even my finicky girls ate it!

    THANK YOU!
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete